The Parks Division is responsible for the maintenance and development of the parks, trails and open space system throughout the city. Currently, the system consists of approximately 3,290 acres of city-owned property, 140 miles of trails, 123 athletic fields, including school fields, 46 play structures, 76 sport court facilities, 55 named parks and open spaces, which includes five large community parks and more than 31 miscellaneous park buildings. The division also mows more than 540 acres of park and boulevard turf and maintains more than 14,000 trees within these mowed areas.
Evergreen West Park Project
Ojibway Park Project
Each summer, the department plans and implements a park pavement maintenance project. The 2017 projects are summarized below:
New Trail Construction/Reconstruction
Project includes reconstruction segments of trail throughout the city, which are in poor condition and showing signs of severe surface raveling and large sections of trail in need of reconstruction.
- Seasons Park Trail - Repair and realign 665' of distressed 8' wide bituminous trail and demolish and restore approximately 240" of 5' trail.
- Fox Run Park Trail - Reconstruct tennis and basketball trail connections of distressed 8' wide bituminous trail.
- Ridge Park - Remove and replace the southern basketball footing and post and reuse existing hoop and backboard.
- Powers Lake East - Level all water ponding areas, seal and repair cracks and color coat both courts.
- Wedgewood Park - Remove and replace both existing basketball hoops, footings and backboards and mill/overlay entire court, apply black color coat and restripe.
- Fox Run Park - Demolish all courts and reconstruction with one (1) new basketball court color coated and one (1) new tennis court color coated, including new 10' fencing around the tennis court and new basketball poles, hoops, backboards and restriping.
Lakeview Knolls North - Starting the week of June 11, weather permitting, the old playground structure will be removed. Installation of the new playground is tentatively scheduled for the week of June 19. During this process, the playground will be closed. The playground equipment will be donated to Kids Around the World, an organization that establishes playgrounds in poverty-stricken countries.
Wedgewood Park Parking Lot
Remove and reconstruct Wedgewood Park parking lot with new bituminous, new curb/gutter and restripe. The Wedgewood Park parking lot project will be in conjunction with the streets rehabilitation project, along with the neighboring trails.