top bg

Traffic Signals

Traffic Signal

To determine when and if traffic signals may be needed (warranted), traffic engineers compare existing conditions against nationally accepted minimum guidelines - often called "warrants". When these warrants are met, a traffic signal may be considered for installation.

One of the most common maintenance items is the changing of bulbs. If you observe a bulb out or what you believe is a traffic signal malfunction, please contact the city at 651-714-3720 or

Traffic signal timing and coordination on county roads are under the jurisdiction of Washington County. These roadways include Radio Drive (County Road 13), Woodbury Drive (County Road 19), Valley Creek Road (County Road 16), Military Road (County Road 20) and Century Avenue (County Road 25). If you have a timing concern for signals located on county roads, please contact Washington County at 651-430-4300 or

Frequently Asked Questions

How do traffic signals work?

How much do traffic signals cost?

Will a traffic signal make an intersection safer?

How does the City decide where to install signals?

Why is the "Walk" light so short? I can only get halfway across before it starts flashing.

Why can't the signals be timed together to reduce delay?

What should drivers do when a traffic signal is flashing or all lights are dark?

How should drivers respond to a flashing yellow arrow?

Which government agency owns which traffic signals?